Saturday, June 2, 2012

Smoked Tomato and Burrata Caprese Salad

I managed to salvage some tomatoes from my plant that the silly squirrels didn't harvest for themselves and found a nice ball of burrata cheese at Whole Foods. Burrata is much like fresh mozzarella, but is filled with the creamiest most sinful curd that it may just be my favorite cheese in the world.

The other night a friend and I had a fabulous tapas style meal at 11 Plates & Wine in Westlake and the waiter brought over some chilled, smoked tomatoes for us to try. This inspired me to smoke my tomatoes for a caprese salad. So we fired up the Big Green Egg to make some kabobs, I lightly coated them with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt, wrapped them in foil and let them smoke for about 30 minutes at 250 degrees until they were tender. I dunked them in ice water to let them cool, slipped of their skins, sliced and served with the cheese and a nice 25 year old balsamic vinegar and drizzle of truffle oil. Sprinkle on some cypress salt and basil chiffonade and I may have found me favorite summer treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!